Passionate About Life | Bodybuilding

Thursday, August 18, 2005

+ Motivator | Local Bodybuilders

Turned 39 this year 2005, but I feel I am stuck in my teen years still. Always aspired to be as big as the bodybuilders I saw on TV and magazines as far back as I can remember.

That was solely because I was skin and bones, did not think much about my appearance until my teen years, when I was often teased by some classmates whenever I took off my shirt during PE lessons.

It took me to my late teens when I finally decided to do something about it. I wanted to beef-up and improve my appearance and stop feeling inferior when I took off my shirt.

Bodybuilding was my obvious choice. It stuck with me once I felt the "pumped" feeling after the first workout. I still love the feeling till today.

I drew inspiration from the most fantastic bodybuilder ever, Arnold Shwarzzeneger. His incredible physique was mind-blowing. His face was on every bodybuilding magazines.

Closer to home, I have always admired the classic physique of local bodybuilders.

The unforgettable likes of Azman Abdullah, Singapore's most successful bodybuilder on the world map,

Fatholomein Ali, a house-whole name in local bodybuilding scene with his successive winning titles around Asia,

and Ibrahim Sihat come to mind. I could relate more to these guys because they are local and they are Malays.

Their photos in the newspapers were always awe inspiring, but can never do justice as they are even huge and awesome in person.

These guys are look incredible and powerful on stage when they compete. Poised and with such confidence, it would not be a surprise if many like me, took up bodybuilding after seeing them perform on stage.

Met Ibrahim Sihat in person for the first time, taking the same double-decker bus number 18 at SAFRA Tampines. He worked as a Gym Instructor at the Health & Fitness club there.

And again several more times during bodybuilding competitions at SAFRA Clubhouse, where he ushered the spectators at the entrance.

At first glance, his thick chest grabs your attention. His well-developed bulking shoulders complementing those big triceps are just an awesome sight. For some reason, he reminds me of Frank Zane with his classic physique.

I guess he is blessed with very good genes. Yes, he is well known as Singapore's Mr. Clean. No steroids. Just plain natural bodybuilding.

Just like me, every time I see them, I cannot wait to go straight to the gym to do more workouts. They provide me motivation even today. They are the source of my inspiration and motivation to keep training and keep fit.

Over time, more and more local bodybuilders became my Muscle Icons.

One huge guy is Mohd Ismail Mohd, a policeman by profession. I think he should be Singapore's answer to Arnold. Just huge!

His big frame is his advantage. His forearms are amazing size. His well-developed biceps and triceps are indeed envious to many bodybuilders, but I think his thighs are his prized assets. They are bulky just like Arnold's in his prime days.

Have met him many times at Kallang Canteen where I worked. Gathered all my guts to approach him and shook his hand to congratulate him on several occasions when he clinched the gold and silver from National and SEA Games.

A very nice approachable person and a rich one too with the monies he has won over the years at major sporting events overseas.

Another fantastic sportsman is Nazaruddin Seladin. He was an Ambassador for Youth Bodybuilding who promoted the sport amongst teenagers, going from school to school telling the benefit of taking good care of your body and health.

He was top on the national bodybuilders' league surpassing even the veterans. I recalled Fathol ever mentioned in a news article that he was watching out for Naz because the young lad had become a formidable contender to him.

Naz has an average height like me not as tall and bulky as other big framed bodybuilders, but his wonderfully perfect symmetry and proportion were his blessings.

He worked out to an awesome definition at competitions that made him the stood out as a clear winner many a times at local and overseas competitions. To top it all, his smooth, confident free-pose routines were one of my favourites to watch. Excellent presentation overall.

Sadly he faded away from the competitive scene when he lost the top 3 position during the SEA Games. I am still wishing he would make a comeback, because this bodybuilder has all the right stuff to take home the medals again. Period.

4 Comments:

  • Hey, I really missed your website on Singapore bodybuilding....now what was it...Muscle Icon?

    Great to see you are blogging on bodybuilding too. It seems you have been too busy to follow up on the bodybuilding scene. I hope you find some time to get back to this passion.

    And yes, I agree with what you said about Ibrahim Sihat. Yup, he's probably got the deepest set of pecs around. Great bodybuilder.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 am  

  • Hello Imran,
    Stumbled on your blog by chance. I was actually looking for a way to get in touch with Fatho, and read about him on your page. I knew him when he was an up and coming BB, just started working for Good Health. I would really be gratefull you can get me his e-mail. Bodybuilding is a great way to get and keep muscularly fit,and build discipline - something I'm sure you'll pass on to your kids.
    Nice 'chatting' with you.
    Neil

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:42 am  

  • Wow!
    You have a nice smooth and well-tone body, anyway, Imran.

    By Anonymous Roslan, at 3:05 pm  

  • wow… that picture.. give me a motivation…:-)

    By Anonymous About workout, at 11:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home